Dramatic news out of Iran this weekend. More than 3,000 Reformers arrested. Some 600 wounded. Conflicting reports about deaths. Some say at least 19 have been killed by the security forces. CNN has unconfirmed reports put the number of deaths at 150.
But this isn’t the only story of revolution in the region. What the media isn’t telling you is that the Revivalists are moving powerfully to share the gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the Muslim world.
Last month, for example, the Kurdish government of Iraq in May gave permission for a Christian radio station that The Joshua Fund helped finance to officially begin broadcast operations. The establishment of such a station owned and operated by Iraqi followers of Jesus Christ is really an historic development in the history of Christianity in the land once called Babylonia, and we are deeply grateful for your prayerful and financial support in making this happen.
The station’s headquarters and main broadcasting facility is located in the northern Kurdish region of Iraq, in the capital of Erbil, a city of some one million people, not far from the border of Iran. The station is operating on 97.1 FM in Erbil and has a translator station operating on 104.7 FM in the city of Kirkuk, a city of about 850,000. Each transmitter operates at 250 watts. That station — which can be heard throughout the Kurdish region and thus by more than two million people — is broadcasting Christian music, original and previously-produced educational programs, original and previously-produced cultural programs, Bible reading programs and radio dramas based on the Bible. All of this is in the Kurdish and Arabic languages.
“Growing up under the tyranny of Saddam Hussein, we never thought we would see the day when we who love Jesus could run a radio station in Iraq,” the station manager told a TJF staffer. “We are excited to see how the Lord will use us to bless the Iraqi people, and particularly the Kurdish people. Please be praying for us that the Lord’s favor would be with us and we would make a real impact in people’s lives here.”
- To learn more about this Iraqi Christian radio station, please click here
- To learn more about the movement of the DAMASCUS film — and how The Joshua Fund has invested $300,000 to help produce and distribute DVDs of this Arabic gospel film — please click here
- To learn more about The Joshua Fund, please click here
HEADLINES TO TRACK:
- Bombshell: Iranian envoy to IAEA says Islamic Republic has right to nuclear weapons
- WSJ op-ed writer: Iran’s Regime Will Never Be the Same; Leaders of the Islamic Revolution have turned against the system
- AEI’s new IranTracker website: 1.3 million protesters, 403 arrests, 32 confirmed deaths, possibly another 152 deaths
- Mossad chief kept on for another year to monitor Iran
- WSJ editorial: Mahmoud’s Friends: Russia, Hamas and Turkey, of all people
- CNN: Opposition candidate Mehdi Karroubi strongly criticizes Iran’s state-controlled media and supporters of hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, likens them to the Taliban
- The West must act against these monsters: An Iranian student activist, now forced into hiding, fears that a catastrophe is on the way
- NYT: Obama Condemns Iran’s Iron Fist Against Protests