Sorry I haven’t posted more regularly in the last few weeks, as I was on vacation with my family. But I’m home now and working on a new novel, due to be released in the fall of 2010.
While I’ve been gone, I’ve been struck by at least three major intelligence and law enforcement operations to thwart terrorist plots inside the U.S. and against American and Israeli targets in the epicenter.
1.) An alleged terrorist sleeper cell in North Carolina — run by radical Islamic jihadists, some whom trained in Afghanistan — was recently busted by the FBI. Seven radical Muslims were arrested in the sting operation. An alleged eighth member of the cell appears to have fled to Pakistan. “The defendants prepared themselves to engage in violent jihad and were willing to die as martyrs,” said the Justice Department.
2.) Officials in Kuwait say they have just thwarted a terror plot by at least a half dozen al-Qaeda operatives to attack U.S. bases in the Gulf kingdom. Some 15,000 U.S. forces operate from bases in the oil-rich state.
3.) Egyptian intelligence reportedly thwarted a plot by Radicals in Cairo to assassinate the Israeli ambassador to Egypt, as well as bomb Muslim and Christian holy sites, and bomb the gas pipeline that links Egypt and Israel through the Sinai peninsula.
I thank God that nearly eight years after 9/11, Americans have once again been kept safe from terror attacks by the vigilant efforts of the FBI, local law enforcement and U.S. and allied forces around the world. I’m also grateful our Arab allies in Egypt and Kuwait are helping us thwart further attacks by Radicals. But such incidents serve to remind us all yet again of just how real the threat of Radical Islam is, even as the White House has just announced that the U.S. is no longer engaged in a “war on terrorism” or a war with “jihadists.” (see below)
In light of all this, I sense the “National Town Hall Meeting on the Threat of Radical Islam and the Church’s Response” we are planning for Friday night, September 11th, will be more timely than ever. More than 220 churches have signed up to show the two-hour webcast to their congregations that night. We hope you can join us. More information is available at www.insidetherevolution.org.
HEADLINES TO TRACK:
- Federal authorities bust alleged terrorist sleeper cell in North Carolina: “The defendants prepared themselves to engage in violent jihad and were willing to die as martyrs,” says Justice Department
- Feds name 8th North Carolina terror suspect
- Kuwait nabs al-Qaida linked cell that planned attack on US base
- Egyptian security foils plot to assassinate Israeli Ambassador to Egypt
- Obama administration says U.S. no longer at war with “terrorism” or “jihadists”
- Aug 5: Ahmadinejad sworn in as police break up protests
- Aug 9: Clinton says U.S. under no illusions Iran will return to talks
- Aug 10: Ahmadinejad purges Iran spy agency: President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad tightened his grip on Iran’s powerful intelligence services, ousting four senior officials in a widening purge against authorities who challenged the harsh crackdowns after June’s disputed elections
- Iranian govt killed 69, arrested 4,000+ in summer protests against rigged elections
- July 27: Hezbollah leader threatens to strike Tel Aviv
- Aug 4: Senior IDF commander says Lebanon border “could explode at any moment”; Hezbollah believed to have stockpiled 40,000 missiles
- Aug 11: Tensions rising on Israeli-Lebanon border
- Aug 11: Israeli PM warns: Lebanon to be held responsible for attacks from within; Speaking before Gush Katif evacuees in south, Netanyahu addresses threats from north, saying ‘If Hezbollah entered gov’t as official body, let it be clear Lebanese gov’t to be held responsible for any attack on Israel from its territory’
>> Please help The Joshua Fund bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus by praying for peace while helping us prepare for when the next war strikes. A $50, $100, or $250 tax-deductible gift — or a $25 or $35 monthly contribution — will help us educate and mobilize Christians around the world to bless Israel in real and practical ways, and also help us provide food, clothing, medical supplies and other relief aid to those in need. The Lord says in Genesis 12:1-3 that those who bless the children of Abraham He will bless. Would you come join us today?