It’s been stunning to see the Left’s long knives come out for the leaders of the Chick-Fil-A corporation. Why? Because the company’s president Dan Cathy, a devout born again follower of Jesus Christ, has said that while he and his company respect and honor people of all races, creeds, religions and sexual orientations, he strongly believes in traditional marriage between one man and one woman and is “guilty as charged” when it comes to defending a Biblical approach to family. Cathy also warned that America could trigger the judgment of God against us if we choose to continue defying the Bible’s teachings on marriage. “I think we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than You what constitutes a marriage,” Cathy said in remarks reported by ABC News.
I completely agree. As I wrote about in Implosion, America is flirting with disaster if we continue to ignore the Bible and turn our backs on the teachings of the Lord God Almighty.
But Cathy’s strong stance on behalf of a Biblical approach to marriage is being taken by the Left as “anti-gay” and it has sparked a firestorm from coast to coast.
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emmanuel denounced Cathy’s pro-traditional marriage stance and said, “Chick-fil-A’s values are not Chicago values. They’re not respectful of our residents, our neighbors and our family members. And if you’re gonna be part of the Chicago community, you should reflect Chicago values.”
- Chicago Alderman Joe Moreno announced he is working to block the fast food company from opening a new store in his ward because of Cathy’s stance.
- Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino told Chick-Fil-A they were not welcome to do business in Boston.
- The Jim Henson Company — inventors of the Muppets — chose to take the side of gay marriage and announced it was ending a planned promotional campaign with the fast food company.
- Actress Roseanne Barr sent out this Tweet, “anyone who eats S%#@ Fil-A deserves to get the cancer that is sure to come from eating antibiotic filled tortured chickens 4Christ.”
- Former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer is calling for a boycott of Chick-Fil-A.
Others, however, are strongly defending Chick-Fil-A and are grateful for Cathy’s defense of the Biblical standard for marriage. Among them:
- Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee started a Facebook page calling for a “Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day” on August 1st. “I have been incensed at the vitriolic assaults on the Chick Fil-A company because the CEO, Dan Cathy, made comments recently in which he affirmed his view that the Biblical view of marriage should be upheld. The Cathy family, led by Chick Fil-A founder Truett Cathy, are a wonderful Christian family who are committed to operating the company with Biblical principles and whose story is the true American success story. Starting at age 46 Truett Cathy built Chick Fil-A into a $4 billion a year enterprise with over 1600 stores. At 91, he is still active in the company, but his son Dan runs it day to day as CEO.It’s a great American story that is being smeared by vicious hate speech and intolerant bigotry from the left.”
- Rick Santorum quickly joined Huckabee in defense of traditional marriage and Chick-Fil-A.
- Billy Graham has issued a statement defending traditional marriage and Chick-Fil-A. “I want to express my support for my good friends Truett Cathy and his son Dan Cathy, and for their strong stand for the Christian faith,” Graham said. “I’ve known their family for many years and have watched them grow Chick-fil-A into one of the best businesses in America while never compromising their values. Chick-fil-A serves each of its customers with excellence, and treats everyone like a neighbor. It’s easy to see why Chick-fil-A has become so popular across America. Each generation faces different issues and challenges, but our standard must always be measured by God’s word. I appreciate the Cathy family’s public support for God’s definition of marriage.”
- Franklin Graham also issued a statement defending traditional marriage and Chick-Fil-A.
- Jim Daly of Focus on the Family wrote an op-ed defending traditional marriage and Chick-Fil-A, as well.
The first thing I did when I heard of this controversy was ask my wife to pick up some Chick-Fil-A for dinner for our family. I look forward to dining there again on August 1st. One of our friends wrote, “Did you ever think a chicken sandwich could divide a nation?” Clever, but of course there is a much bigger issue here than one company or the views of one executive. The American Left has declared war against the traditional family, against the Bible, and against all who dare say that they follow Biblical principles. Maybe this controversy will wake up the sleeping Church in America and call millions believers to stand up for the truth. Maybe this firestorm will inspire millions of Christians to truly preach the Gospel, teach the Word of God, and do so with love, compassion, courage and without shame. Maybe seeing the vitriol of the Left will cause millions of Christians to begin praying and fasting for a Third Great Awakening for this beloved country of ours. I sure hope so, because without such a sweeping spiritual revival I believe this country is going to implode. And time is running short.
One other important note. My brother-in-law wrote this on his Facebook page as a result of this controversy, and I thought he put it very well: “Of all the groups in the world who are “hated”, I often feel that none are hated more than Christians who are loyal to Jesus Christ and His teaching, who–despite popular belief–was not about hate, but love for and salvation of ANYONE who would ACCEPT Him as their savior. Bums me out how often His true purpose and message are completely overlooked or simply ignored. I love my Lord with all my he…art and as a true follower of Christ I’m called to love ALL people as well… and I do: gay, straight, black, white, old, young, sick, healthy, mentally or physically challenged or not, liberal, conservative, Redskins fans, Cowboy fans, country or rock fans… and yes, that means you too. If you translate God’s teaching to intolerance/hate (despite Him commanding us to love EVERYONE) than I don’t know what to say… but I do know what to DO because my purpose never changes. So like it or not… I love YOU despite our differences, allegiances, choices or values. Matthew 22:36-40 — “‘Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?’ Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”