In recent days, anyone watching U.S.-Israel relations has seen a very troubling development: the already serious rift between the current White House and Israel is growing. The relationship between President Obama and Prime Minister Netanyahu has been strained for nearly four years. But as the threat of war between Israel and Iran this fall continues to rise, the Obama administration seems to be intentionally signaling a growing distance from the Netanyahu government.
Consider these examples: The White House is downscaling U.S. participation in long-planned joint military exercises in October. The Obama administration is sending private messages to Iran saying the U.S. won’t back an Israeli strike as long as Iran doesn’t strike U.S. interests (suggesting that the State of Israel isn’t an American interest). The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs told reporters in London that the U.S. doesn’t want to be “complicit” in an Israeli first strike. “Complicit” is a criminal word, implying an Israeli act of self-defense could be illegal, yet America’s top military official used the word anyway. What’s more, the Democratic National Committee this week has even removed pro-Israel elements used in previous DNC platforms – such as asserting Jerusalem is the official capital of Israel and shouldn’t be divided; remaining committed to maintaining Israel’s qualitative military advantage over its neighbors; and describing Hamas as a terrorist organization that should be negotiated with — out of its official 2012 platform, something that could only be done with the direct support of the President and his senior advisors.
These developments add to a troubling trend which is making Israeli officials and citizens feel more alone against the Iran nuclear threat than ever before. Will war erupt this fall? That remains to be seen. But U.S.-Israeli relations have rarely been this strained on the eve of major Mideast hostilities. Please pray for the Lord to change the heart of President Obama and his advisors, and that they would change course and truly and publicly stand firmly with Israel, our most faithful ally in all of the epicenter. As we read in Genesis 12:1-3, God promises to bless those who bless Israel, and curse those who curse Israel. With America facing a growing risk of economic and moral implosion, now is certainly not the time to turn our backs on Israel.
- Exclusive: U.S. Scales Back Military Exercise with Israel, Affecting Potential Iran Strike (Time)
- How Sending Fewer U.S. Troops to Israeli Joint Exercise Further Strains Relations (Time)
- Report: U.S. General Dempsey says he does not want to be ‘complicit’ in Israeli attack on Iran (Haaretz)
- ‘Iran must steer clear of US interests in Gulf’ – Washington reportedly sends Tehran indirect message saying it will not back Israeli strike on nuclear facilities as long as Iran refrains from attacking American facilities in Persian Gulf (Ynet news)
- To Calm Israel, U.S. Offers Ways to Restrain Iran (New York Times)
- Pro-Israel Language Removed From Democratic Party Platform (Washington Beacon)
- Israeli Officials See Gap With U.S. Widening Over Iran (Bloomberg news)
- In tackling Iran, Israel increasingly feels ‘it has no one to rely on but itself,’ official says — Despite new White House pledge of commitment to Israel’s security, Jerusalem complains US refusing ‘to set red lines’ on thwarting Tehran’s drive to the bomb (Times of Israel)
- Netanyahu calls for US to give Iran a ‘clear red line’ (CSM)
>> Help The Joshua Fund care for the poor and needy in Israel, teach the Word of God in the epicenter, educate and mobilize Christians around the world to bless poor and needy Israelis, train pastors and ministry leaders in Egypt, strengthen the believers in Syria, and prepare for a possible major new war in the epicenter — please prayerfully consider a generous, tax deductible financial contribution to The Joshua Fund.
- Participate in the 2012 Epicenter Conference set for Sept 12-16 in Albuquerque, New Mexico — will be webcast worldwide
- The Tehran Initiative
- Implosion: Can America Recover From Its Economic & Spiritual Challenges In Time?
- (NEW) The Invested Life: Making Disciples Of All Nations One Person At A Time (with Dr. T.E. Koshy)
- Sign up today for The Joshua Fund’s 2013 “Prayer & Vision” trip to Israel and 2013 Epicenter Conference — this trip isn’t for everyone; we’re looking for Christians who truly love Israel, are “prayer warriors” and are ready to put their faith in action by going to Israel to bless her despite of — or because of – the threats of war.
- Please join the conversation and follow on Twitter @joelcrosenberg
- My spiritual journey — how did my parents and I come to faith in Jesus Christ?