By God’s grace, I just spent a wonderful week with my wife, Lynn, and our four sons at the Word of Life Inn & Bible camp up in the Adirondack Mountains in Upstate New York. There I had the opportunity to teach the Old Testament Book of Joel over three different sessions to several hundreds pastors and ministry leaders from all over the world. Thanks for your patience as I haven’t posted for awhile.
Here’s a quick update of key stories I’ve been tracking:
- Texas Governor Rick Perry has called a day of prayer and fasting based on the Book of Joel. He issued a proclamation to the citizens of Texas, and sent a letter to his 49 fellow governors asking them to participate in the event, which will be held August 6th at Reliant Stadium in Houston. I couldn’t agree more with the urgency of the need for national prayer, fasting and repentance for a true spiritual revival in the United States based on the Bible, or be more encouraged than an American state leader urging people to study and follow the teachings of the Hebrew Prophet Joel. I’m planning to devote August 6th to prayer and fasting, and I encourage you to do so, as well. Excerpts from his proclamation: “Given the trials that have beset our country and world — from the global economic downturn to natural disasters, the lingering danger of terrorism and wars that endanger our troops in Iraq, Afghanistan and theaters of conflict around the globe, and the decline of our culture in the context of the demise of families — it seems imperative that the people of our nation should once again join together for a solemn day of prayer and fasting on behalf of our troubled nation,” wrote the Governor. “In times of trouble, even those who have been granted power by the people must turn to God in humility for wisdom, mercy and direction. In the spirit of the Book of Joel, Chapter 2, Verses 15-16, I urge a solemn gathering of prayer and fasting. As those verses admonish: ‘Blow the trumpet in Zion, declare a holy fast, call a sacred assembly…Gather the people, consecrate the assembly…’ As Jesus prayed publicly for the benefit of others in John 11:41-42, so should we express our faith in this way.”
- Iran developing nuclear-capable ballistic missiles. “British Foreign Secretary William Hague says Iran has conducted secret tests of ballistic missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads in violation of a U.N. resolution,” reports the Voice of America. “In comments to the British parliament on Wednesday, Hague said secret Iranian tests of nuclear-capable missiles contravene U.N. Security Council Resolution 1929. He also accused Iran of engaging in covert experiments with rocket launchers….Iran on Monday began a 10-day missile training exercise that state media say is aimed at preserving the country’s ‘readiness against enemy strikes’….Iranian Brigadier General Amir-Ali Hajizadeh said the exercise includes the testing of short, medium and long-range missiles with a maximum range of 2,000 kilometers — far enough to reach Israel and U.S. bases in the region. Iran fired 14 missiles on Tuesday, the second day of the drill.” The New York Times reports the Iranians have just revealed underground missile silos designed to be less vulnerable to attack.
- Greek government stops second flotilla headed for Gaza— The Greeks are have horrific economic troubles, but they are still trying to bless Israel, and they should be commended. “A boat carrying a contingent of US activists seeking to join a flotilla of protesters against Israel’s blockade of the Gaza Strip were turned back by armed Greek commandos about 30 miles out of Athens today, in a major blow to the group and an apparent diplomatic victory for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu,” reports CSM. A cynical columnist for Haaretz notes: “Netanyahu’s personal investment in his relationship over the past year-and-a-half with Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou in which he increased diplomatic ties with the floundering European nation seems to have put the final nail in the Gaza flotilla’s coffin.”
OTHER HEADLINES WORTH TRACKING:
- U.S. Senate unanimously passes resolution opposing unilateral Palestinian declaration for statehood; threatens to cut off aid to the Palestinian Authority
- Text of Senate resolution
- Jordan may oppose unilateral declaration of Palestinian state at UN in September
- JCPA: Who is behind the second Gaza flotilla?