This is God’s “October Surprise.” Hurricane Sandy is a potentially historic, catastrophic, monstrous, devasting storm.
- * It is a “superstorm” that is 700 miles wide. * It has already killed 66 people. * It is carrying winds of 100 mph or more. * It threatens to knock out power for 60 million Americans or more for days on end. * It threatens to create blizzard conditions in parts of PA, MD, VA and WVA that could drop 2 feet of snow or more on rural communities. * More than 9,000 flights have been canceled. * Schools are closed. * The federal government is mostly closed.* Public transportation is not operating on the much of the East Coast.* The U.S. stock markets are closed.* Those of us in the Washington, D.C. area have been warned to finish last-minute errands by noon and not to go outside after that because conditions will be “life-threatening.” Weather experts say poses the “worst case scenario” to the Eastern seaboard of the United States. Isn’t God trying to get our attention? Just days before one of the most significant and momentous presidential and Congressional elections in American history, I believe God is reminding us that America’s fate lies not in the hands of the politicians, but in His hands. Will America listen? Will we realize how fragile our existence is, how desperately we need the Lord’s divine love and protection?Please pray for the Lord God Almighty to dissipate the intensity of the storm and to protect the lives of people and property. Pray, too, that the Lord uses this moment to motivate Americans to repent of our sins and turn to faith in Jesus Christ as our only hope of personal and national salvation and rescue. “If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14)
“The projected storm surge from Hurricane Sandy is a “worst case scenario” with devastating waves and tides predicted for the highly populated New York City metro area, government forecasters said Sunday,” reports the Associated Press. Excerpts from the story:
- The more they observe it, the more the experts worry about the water — which usually kills and does more damage than winds in hurricanes. In this case, seas will be amped up by giant waves and full-moon-powered high tides. That will combine with drenching rains, triggering inland flooding as the hurricane merges with a winter storm system that will worsen it and hold it in place for days.
- Louis Uccellini, environmental prediction chief for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, told The Associated Press that given Sandy’s due east-to-west track into New Jersey, that puts the worst of the storm surge just north in New York City, Long Island and northern New Jersey. “Yes, this is the worst case scenario,” he said.
- In a measurement of pure kinetic energy, NOAA’s hurricane research division on Sunday ranked the surge and wave “destruction potential” for Sandy — just the hurricane, not the hybrid storm it will eventually become — at 5.8 on a 0 to 6 scale. The damage expected from winds will be far less, experts said.
- Weather Underground meteorologist Jeff Masters says that surge destruction potential number is a record and it’s due to the storm’s massive size. The storm surge energy numbers are bigger than the deadly 2005 Hurricane Katrina, but that can be misleading. Katrina’s destruction was concentrated in a small area, making it much worse, Masters said. Sandy’s storm surge energy is spread over a wider area. Also, Katrina hit a city that is below sea level and had problems with levees.
- National Hurricane Center Director Rick Knabb said Hurricane Sandy’s size means some coastal parts of New York and New Jersey may see water rise from 6 to 11 feet from surge and waves. The rest of the coast north of Virginia can expect 4 to 8 feet of surge.
- Up-to-the-minute information from The Weather Channel
- National Weather Service bulletin — “EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM”
- Washington Post coverage
- New York Times coverage
- CNN coverage — “Storm Threatens Catastrophe”
- Fox News coverage — East Coast braces for 11 foot wall of water
>> Listen to the two-hour podcast of the “Implosion Radio Special” with Joel C. Rosenberg and Janet Parshall discussing the major issues facing America, the danger we could soon face God’s judgment, and the hope of a major spiritual revival along the lines of a Third Great Awakening.