UPDATE: Full text of the PM’s address.
“By installing new, faster centrifuges, Iran is shortening by one-third the time it will take to produce ‘one nuclear bomb’s worth of highly enriched uranium,’ Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said Monday,” according to a report by the Jerusalem Post.
“Netanyahu, speaking to to the annual meeting in Jerusalem of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, said the Iranians had not crossed the red line he outlined during his speech to the UN in September, but that the faster centrifuges means it will take them less time to do so. In September he said the Iranians could reach that point by the spring or the summer. ‘I drew a line at the UN, they haven’t crossed that line, but what they are doing is shortening the time it will take them to cross that line,’ he said. ‘This has to be stopped for the interest of peace and security for the entire world.'”
“Turning to Syria, Netanyahu described it as an ‘undeveloped country with the world’s most developed weapons.’ In addition to chemical weapons, he said, Syria has ‘other strategic weapons that can change the balance of power in the Middle East.’ Netanyahu said Israel would not ‘sit idly by and let those weapons fall into the hands of terrorists.'”
Other headlines worth tracking:
- Netanyahu: Iran shortening the time it will take to cross ‘red line’ (Times of Israel)
- Netanyahu hints Israel will prevent Syria transferring arms to Hezbollah (Haaretz)
- Analysis: Hezbollah’s strategy: Rockets on Tel Aviv, raids on Galilee: Nasrallah hopes to gain moral victory by inflicting heavy casualties on IDF, Israeli home front at onset of next conflict(Ynet News)
- Pre-order my forthcoming international geopolitical thriller, Damascus Countdown, which releases March 5th
- Order the paperback of my last thriller, The Tehran Initiative
- To support The Joshua Fund, please visit www.joshuafund.net