One is Porter Goss, who served as an undercover agent for the CIA, then in Congress as Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, and finally served as President George W. Bush’s Director of Central Intelligence.
The other is Reza Kahlili, who was born in Iran, became an officer in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, was repulsed by the evil he saw in the Khomenei regime, and decided to become a double agent for the CIA to spy on the Iranian regime. He eventually became a U.S. citizen and wrote a fascinating book about his experiences. [By the way, I should note here that I did not know Reza Kahlili when I began writing this novel series. Thus, it is pure coincidence that my main character in this series is “David Shirazi,” an Iranian who becomes an undercover agent for the CIA and whose alias is “Reza Tabrizi.” Truth is stranger than fiction.
They have spent countless hours letting me ask them many questions about Iran, Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, and other challenging countries and issues in the Middle East. In fact, on Monday, I interviewed Porter and hope to be able to transcribe that interview and publish it soon.
In the meantime, I’m deeply honored to receive endorsements from both of these fine men upon the release of Damascus Countdown.
“Whenever I see a new Joel Rosenberg book coming out, I know I need to clear time on my calendar. His penetrating knowledge of all things Mid-eastern — coupled with his intuitive knack for high stakes intrigue — demand attention. I’ve read them all, and been richly rewarded. I’m especially looking forward to Damascus Countdown.”
– Porter Goss, former Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
“Joel Rosenberg is one of the most knowledgeable people writing about the Middle East that I’ve had the honor to meet. He has a particularly clear understanding of what is going on in today’s Iran and Syria and the grave threat these two countries pose to the rest of the world. His is an important voice in a sea of misdirected and erroneous information that distorts the truth about the realities of these countries’ intentions.”
– Reza Kahlili, former CIA operative in Iran and best-selling author of A Time to Betray: The Astonishing Double Life of a CIA Agent Inside the Revolutionary Guards of Iran
- Follow Joel on Twitter — @joelcrosenberg
- Order Damascus Countdown – now available nationwide in hardcover, ebook and audio formats
- Order the paperback of The Tehran Initiative
- Order the paperback of The Twelfth Imam
- Come to Israel with Joel and The Joshua Fund this summer for a tour and the 2013 Epicenter Conference
- Learn more about The Joshua Fund, and make a tax deductible contribution