(Jerusalem, Israel) — In two days, we will host the 2013 Epicenter Conference here in Jerusalem amidst a horrific civil war in Syria and the very present possibility of a civil war in Egypt. As I write this at 9pm local time, here are the latest developments:
- Millions of Egyptians have been demanding that President Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood government step down from power because of their many failures and dictatorial approach to governing.
- The Egyptian issued an ultimatum earlier this week for Morsi to come to a peaceful resolution with the protestors or the army would step in with unspecified action.
- Morsi refused to step down from power, or make peace with the protestors.
- At 6:30pm, the army began mobilizing — tanks were on the move in Cairo and other cities.
- By 9pm, it was reported that Morsi is under house arrest.
- The army has seized control of state TV.
- Morsi’s supporters say a military coup is underway.
- UPDATE: New York Times reports “Army ousts Egypt’s president”
- UPDATE: Egyptian military announces post-Morsi plan
- UPDATE: Egyptian military ousts Morsi, suspends constitution (Washington Post)
Among the main questions now is whether the Muslim Brotherhood — the region’s original Radical Jihadist organization — will fight back, plunging Egypt into a civil war. Here’s the latest coverage and analysis.
- Egypt’s Mohamed Morsi remains defiant as fears of civil war grow — In exclusive interview with the Guardian, Morsi defiantly rejects call for elections, setting stage for trial of strength on the streets (UK Guardian)
- Egypt headed for civil war, ex-Israeli defense minister warns (Times of Israel)
- Egyptian clerics warn of ‘civil war’ ahead of mass protests (NBC News)
BACKGROUND: PREVIOUS POSTS I’VE WRITTEN ON EGYPT
- In Egypt, Radicals and Reformers Battle for Control of a Movement (January 31, 2011)
- Isaiah 19, Bible Prophecy & the Future of Egypt: Where are we headed? (February 5, 2011)
- YouTube Video of sermon: “Isaiah 31, Do Not Trust In Egypt” (July 11, 2012)