(Washington, D.C.) — “How about this to think about today — the crisis in Syria may be more than just a current foreign policy problem,” noted Fox News Channel anchor Martha MacCallum during a Tuesday afternoon segment. “With some seeing signs of Biblical prophecies of the apocalypse in the events that are unfolding overseas, passages in the Old Testament to Damascus falling into ruins, sparking worldwide conflict that some say leads to the coming of the Messiah.”
“Joel Rosenberg is a former aide to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and he is a Middle East analyst who has written several books on this issues,” said MacCallum. “Welcome, Joel. Good to have you with us today….You know, I think it’s very interesting to look at this from that historic, Biblical perspective….Explain to us — take us through Isaiah and what’s your thinking is on what the Bible says about this.”
We then discussed the prophecies of Isaiah 17 and Jeremiah 49 concerning the future of Damascus, and whether the Bible really says that historic capital will be judged and obliterated in the last days.
I noted several times the importance of not jumping to conclusions, since we don’t know whether these prophecies will come true in our lifetime. That said, I noted that they could come true soon, and that it’s important to understand what the prophecies say and what they mean, examining them in their “historical-grammatical” context. I also mentioned how these prophecies are factored into my novel, Damascus Countdown. The segment runs about five minutes.
UPDATE: There continues to be much skepticism and criticism of those who are encouraging people to study these prophecies. Here are a few new examples:
- Daily Kos: Fox News ponders whether Syria is sign of the End Times
- Mother Jones: Fox News Discusses Possibility That Syria War Fulfills Biblical Prophecy
- Growing number of media stories focus on Isaiah 17 & Jeremiah 49 prophecies on the future of Damascus.
- To watch the sermon Joel delivered on Sunday on Isaiah 17 & Jeremiah 49, please click here.
- To read 24 pages of study notes on Isaiah 17 and Jeremiah 49, please click here.
- If you would like to comment on this sermon, please visit the “Epicenter Team” page on Facebook.
- To listen to Joel’s podcasts — including the latest interview on Hannity re: Syria — please click here
- >> Track the latest developments and analysis on Twitter — @JoelCRosenberg.