(Washington, D.C.) — On Friday, I had the honor of addressing the Values Voter Summit in the nation’s capital. To watch the video of the speech — which runs about 22 minutes — please click here.
In my remarks, I noted that Americans increasingly fear for the future of our country. Today, nearly 8-in-10 Americans believe the country is on the “wrong track,” and they’re right. Families are imploding from adultery and divorce. We have chronically high unemployment, sluggish economic growth, and skyrocketing national debt. We are facing high rates of crime and drug and alcohol abuse, tragically high suicide rates among our young people and armed forces. And then there is the most haunting number — 55 million babies who have been aborted in 1973. Soon, if this is not changed, we will reach 60 million babies murdered. For these and many other reasons, America is in grave danger. Unless we repent and plead with the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive us — and give us a Third Great Awakening — we face not only the possibility of the Lord removing His hand of grace and favor on us, but bringing judgment to us, as well.
But I noted that we face another dangerous moment, as well. What if, on top of all of our other national sins, America turns against Israel and the Jewish people?
The Lord God Almighty said clearly in the Abrahamic Covenant (Genesis 12:1-3), “I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse.” At this critical moment in American history, do we want God’s blessing, or will we invite His curse?
Unfortunately, U.S.-Israel ties have been more strained in recent years than at any other time since 1948. A large and growing number of Israelis feel like they are increasingly alone in the world, and that their long-time faithful ally the United States might not be there for them when the next big crisis hits.
- A new poll published by the Jerusalem Post, for example, notes that “two-thirds of Jewish Israelis believe U.S. president Barack Obama will fail to keep his promise to prevent Iran’s development of nuclear weapons.”
- While the vast majority of the speakers at the Values Voter Summit are staunchly pro-Israel, one speaker — Sen. Rand Paul — has called for eliminating all U.S. military aid to Israel.
- The situation has gotten so serious that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu felt compelled during his recent U.N. speech to say, “Israel will not allow Iran to get nuclear weapons. If Israel is forced to stand alone, Israel will stand alone.”
How serious is the possibility that America will eventually turn against Israel? What should Christians do?
- To learn more about the non-fiction book, Implosion: Can America Recover From Its Economic & Spiritual Challenges In Time? – which is now available in paperback – please click here.
- Follow Joel on Twitter — @joelcrosenberg
- Order Damascus Countdown – now available in paperback online and in bookstores nationwide
- Listen to Damascus Countdown as an audio book.
- Order the paperback of The Tehran Initiative
- Order the paperback of The Twelfth Imam
- Learn more about The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net) – educating and mobilizing Christians to bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus – and make a tax deductible contribution