From Russia’s invasion of Ukraine to Syria’s use of chemical weapons to the Benghazi situation in Libya and the near-breakdown of the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, Americans do not see the White House and State Department providing strong, steady, principled, bipartisan leadership. Rather, they see confusion, weakness, and vacillation.
Now a new poll finds that a significant majority of Americans are anxious that the President cannot be trusted stop Iran from building nuclear weapons, one of the most important national security issues facing the U.S., Israel and our Arab allies.
As we geared up for the release of The Auschwitz Escape, my publisher, Tyndale House, and I commissioned a national survey to help us better understand how Americans view the current geopolitical issues in light of the history of the Holocaust.
Working with McLaughlin & Associates, a nationally respected polling firm, we asked 1,000 likely U.S. voters numerous questions. One of them was: “Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: ‘As a result of President Obama drawing a red line on the use of chemical weapons in Syria, but then refusing to take military action when chemical weapons were used, I do not have confidence that when Mr. Obama says he will not allow Iran to obtain a nuclear weapon that he can be trusted to keep his word’?”
The results were sobering.
- 62.3% of Americans agreed with the statement, saying they do not trust the President to stop Iran from building The Bomb
- 30.5% of Americans disagreed with the statement, and do trust the President to stop Iran
- 7.2% said they don’t know
Americans’ distrust of the President is of particular concern given that 80% of the public says they fear a “Second Holocaust” — the annihilation of the six million Jews in Israel — if Iran gets The Bomb. What’s more, 68% of Americans say they fear a “nuclear holocaust” here in the homeland if Iran is allowed to build nuclear weapons.
I will provide more analysis of this in the days ahead.
Meanwhile, here are some of the other results of the poll we have released so far:
- 80% of Americans fear a “Second Holocaust.” Are Christians willing to stand with Israel in face of rising threat?
- 68% of Americans fear a “nuclear holocaust” here in U.S. if Iran is permitted to build nuclear weapons, exclusive poll finds
- 59% of Americans support “decisive” US strike on Iran to prevent “Second Holocaust,” if diplomacy & sanctions fail
- 72% of Americans see Putin as “clear and present danger” to U.S. and Israel
- 85% of Americans concerned young people don’t know enough about Holocaust or learning lessons of how to confront evil, finds new poll.
>> Read the column I recently wrote for CNN.com with fmr. Senator Rick Santorum — “Lessons of history: Americans fear ‘second Holocaust’ if Iran gets the bomb”
>> Read the attack on our column by an Iranian government official — Iranian official attacks oped I wrote with Senator Santorum as “ludicrous, counterproductive and unfortunate.”
- The Auschwitz Escape debuts at #11 on the New York Times hardcover fiction bestseller list.
- The Auschwitz Escape hits #7 on Publishers Weekly hardcover fiction best-seller list.
- Order The Auschwitz Escape today — it’s available now in hardcover, e-book and audio formats. You can get it online, or in your favorite bookstore.
- Learn more about The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net) – educating and mobilizing Christians to bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, and caring for the poor and needy with food and other humanitarian relief – read our 2013 Donor Report, and make a tax deductible, secure, on-line contribution.
- Follow on Twitter — @joelcrosenberg
- Receive every blog post automatically via the RSS feed.