UPDATED at 8pm eastern: The Russian Ambassador to Turkey was just assassinated in Ankara, the capital of Turkey.
The assailant was a Radical Muslim who said he was doing this as “revenge” for Russia’s military actions in Aleppo, shouting, “Allahu Akbar…We die in Aleppo, you die here!”
“The shooter, who was wearing a suit and tie, has been identified as Mevlüt Mert Altintas, 22, a member of Ankara’s police riot squad,” reported the UK Daily Mail.
He reportedly fired 15 to 20 shots — killing the Ambassador and wounding at least three others — before being shot and killed by policy. The attack occurred at an art exhibit.
Turkish President Recip Erdogan quickly called Russian President Vladimir Putin after being briefed on the situation. Putin called the assassination a “provocation” aimed at destroying relations between Russia and Turkey and scuttling the so-called Syrian peace process.
“In an odd coincidence, Putin had been planning to attend a Moscow play on Monday night written by Alexander Griboyedov, Russia’s ambassador to Iran, who was murdered in 1829,” reported Reuters. “Putin canceled when he heard his Turkish envoy had been murdered.”
NOTE: Here’s the latest coverage:
- Russian Ambassador to Turkey Fatally Shot in Ankara Terrorist Attack, Russia Says (New York Times)
- VIDEO: Watch: Moment Russian ambassador shot dead (Al-Arabiya)
- Russian ambassador to Turkey assassinated by police officer ‘in revenge for Aleppo’ (UK Mirror)
- You can now pre-order my next novel — Without Warning — which will release on March 14, 2017. Click here for details.
- Order The First Hostage today — the new political thriller about genocidal ISIS leaders plotting a terrorist attacks against Israel, Jordan and the United States — available in paperback, hardcover, e-book and audio formats.
- Order THE THIRD TARGET today , the first in this new series — now out in paperback — the New York Times best-selling novel about ISIS capturing chemical weapons in Syria and plotting genocidal attacks on the U.S. and our Mideast allies.
- Subscribe (free) to the RSS feed (click here) and receive every new posting on this blog directly via email.
- Click here to read the 2016 Joshua Fund Donor Report — and watch the short videos, as well
- Make a year-end investment in The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net), our non-profit organization to help Christians care for Syrian refugees, educate and mobilize Christians to bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, care for the poor and needy in Israel (both Jews and Arabs) with food and other humanitarian relief, care for Holocaust survivors, and strengthen the Church in the epicenter. Read our latest Donor Report, and prayerfully consider making a tax deductible, secure, on-line contribution. Thanks so much!
- Follow on Twitter — @joelcrosenberg